Monday, June 6, 2011

Redefining the Funny Farm

I've had every intention of blogging for a few days now, but literally - for the last 8 days - I've been living in some sort of alternate universe. Would you like a run down of what that looks like? Ok, indulge me for a minute.
Saturday, May 28th: I went out with a few of my best gals here in Texas for the last time... Renee, Danielle & Jillian... I will TRULY miss these ladies so much... but on the upside - they are also the most likely to come visit us in TX. Anyway - we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and dessert. When I left that night I knew my dog, Maggie wasn't feeling well. She'd been sick for a couple of days, but she typically bounces back fairly quickly... this time though - it just kept getting worse. So when I got home, I knew it wasn't an illness she was going to come back from. I made the decision at 10:30 that night that we had to take her and put her to sleep. I'd lived with Maggie since she was 6 weeks old, and we had a great 13 years together. She stuck with me through some hard times and some great times... and just had the sweetest soul. I will miss her terribly, but I'm glad that she's not suffering anymore.

Sunday, May 29th: We had friends over to help us clean out our fridge. We grilled a bunch of meat and did some sort of Iron Chef/Chopped episode with a few items in the pantry. It turned out great, and gave us some time with a few more friends and some family.

Monday, May 30th: Was spent packing our travel bags, going through some last minute odds and ends... and just preparing for the move.

Tuesday, May 31st: The movers were supposed to come between 8 and 10... but then called to say they'd be there at 3... and then we didn't hear back from them again until after 5 when they told us they were still in Baton Rouge, LA... and certainly wouldn't make it to our house that day. So we gave up on them, met with the Realtors and called it a night.

Wednesday, June 1st: Finally, the movers showed up... although they were still an hour and a half later than they were expected. They had us packed up and ready to load the truck by 3PM... at midnight, we decided to stop and continue on the next day. John's Aunt passed away as well, after a courageous battle with cancer. She was such a wonderful woman, and will be deeply missed by all of us that had the pleasure of knowing her during her 72 years of life.

Thursday, June 2nd: The movers came back at 11AM... and it literally took them until 8PM to get finished. Craziness since they scheduled us for packing and loading the truck all in one day - and then it took them a full 2 days to get it done. UGH!

Friday, June 3rd: I met the cleaning crew over at the house, returned the cable boxes, and saw my friend Renee for one last quick visit. The left Cypress, Texas for the last time as a resident. It was certainly bittersweet to leave... not only the area that I loved living in, the friends, but also the home that we brought our boys home to. Saying goodbye to the room that we so lovingly made for them was certainly difficult, and literally brought both John and I to our knees.

John left for Memphis on Friday afternoon to get a few things done, only to return again for the funeral before we actually meet the movers again.

Saturday, June 4th - Sunday, June 5th: We've been hanging out playing and enjoying our last few days in Texas. The boys have adjusted amazingly well - much better than I would have expected... and I'm so grateful for that.

Today, we're getting ready for the beginings of Aunt Aster's funeral tonight - the boys will stay here with family and get some rest. Then tomorrow all four of us will go to the actual funeral, burial, and family reception... then John will drive us back to my Dad's and immediately head out with our dog, Missy, to Memphis. The movers are supposed to arrive on Wednesday to deliver all of our goods... and then the boys and I fly out on Thursday to start our new lives in Tennessee.

It's taking a lot of Starbucks... but I'm hanging in there alright. Can't wait to share pictures and things on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I really enjoy getting feedback on my writing!