Sorry for the unexpected day without a post... but we ended up here with a very unexpected day yesterday. We've all been sort of feeling weak and under the weather a bit around our house... but when the kids got up yesterday, I thought Tyler seemed to be getting worse. During breakfast for the boys, I decided that I needed to call the pediatrician and get them checked out.
I debated taking James to school because he seemed fine, and it's always easier to take one kid to the doctor as opposed to two of them. I in the end, thought better of that and went ahead with the plan to get them both checked.
They had their breakfast by about 8:30 and both wanted to go back up for a nap already... so I let them. Our appointment was at 10:30 - so I needed to get them up by 9:45 or so to load the car and head to the doctor's office.
Both boys' ears, throats, and noses checked out alright - but James' white blood cell count was 21 (normal is below 10) so the doctor seemed concerned. We did a chest x-ray, and found that James has the beginning stage of pneumonia. We came home with some antibiotics and made an appointment to get rechecked on Saturday morning.
James didn't nap all afternoon yesterday - in fact he sort of acted like a crazed kiddo in some sort of hyper active state... he wasn't bad, but did a lot of pacing around the living room and around the coffee table. Other than him being a little bit extra clingy - he really seems like he's fine.
John came home a bit early, and made plans to stay home with us all day today. We got the boys to bed around normal time, and we all slept well last night. The boys just woke up sounding a bit worse. James sounds all crackly and has a yucky cough. Tyler still has the stuffy/runny nose/cough thing going on... and we're all just laying low for the most part.
This certainly isn't how we planned things, but it could be so much worse. I feel like it was absolutely divine intervention yesterday that caused me to go ahead and get James checked out, and I'm so grateful for that. I can't imagine what could have happened if we hadn't gotten him checked out then... we could be spending the weekend in the hospital or something.
I've been beating myself up for the "almost" and the things that could have been... but I'm trying not to. Instead I'm focusing on taking care of my boys... I'm heading into the kitchen right now to make them meatloaf, mashed potatoes, a Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit recipe, and candy corn cookies. We'll get back to regular posting next week, I promise.
Please check out my Fall/Recipe Blog Swap and get entered!!