We are in the process of going through a series called Building a Home God's Way. If you have some time, or need some new podcasts to add to your list - I'm telling you this message series is amazing! (Another one that you should listen to is here... different series, but great message!)
So anyway, I got sidetracked again.
5 Keys to Family Remodeling
1. Cooperate - the point here is that you have do live with God at the center of your family. We got some powerful scripture reference here, but my favorite was:
Ephesians 4:4-6 (NIV) There is one body and one Spirit -- just as you were called to one hope when you were called -- one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
He also said that we need to:
Build on the right foundation and offer God your full cooperation.
2. Concentrate - Build on a strong foundation... it is the only thing that will hold you together through the storms of life.
Matthew 7:24-27 (NIV) Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.
3. Fumigate - Take a look at your life, get rid of things that stand in opposition to your relationship with God. Look at how you are living your life - have media (computer, television, magazines, books, music) outlets taken over your life? Are you worshiping money or things that you shouldn't?
1 John 2:15 (NIV) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
In this reference - the "world" is society and the things of man. This is where I had to look at my own life the most... because I'll be honest. I had REALLY gotten sucked into the vortex of spending a majority of my time at home on my laptop... Facebook, Email, Blog Writing/Reading... it didn't matter... but I was neglecting to spend as much quality time with John as I know that I need to/want to. He is the center of my world, second only to God... and I need to nurture that as often as I can. So this is where my 1 hour a night of computer time restriction began. Just with this one moment of our message this week.
We did it last night and it worked pretty well... my computer freaked out so it really was like an hour and 10 minutes, but regardless... it was sort of nice to sit back and hang out with John (even if we were watching television) without having my nose stuck in a computer.
4. Mediate - This one can be the hardest for everyone because we tend to want to wait and let time heal our wounds, but that isn't how things are healed. Reconcile and resolve conflict quickly if at all possible. Sometimes it is not, because the other person is far from God... but do what you can and make sure that you have followed God's path for you.
Steps to resolution:
Do good, no matter what.
Do not dismiss another's feelings.
Let go of ego.
Do not defend yourself.
5. Evaluate - No one is perfect. Think about what areas you can make better and more in line with God's way within your own family. Do you need a self imposed media restriction? Should you start a daily family devotion? Where can you bring your family together and make them stronger? Do you need to do something else?
There was so much more I could share, but if you guys have time - you really ought to come back and listen to this specific podcast. It's not loaded yet, but I will try to remind John to upload it this evening.